Welcome back to week 4 of the One Room Challenge! If you are just tuning in, start with week 1, week 2, and week 3 so you know what’s going on. Since we are making over the backyard and building new furniture, the dining table was at the top of the list this week. To me, this is one of the most important parts of the backyard because it is where we will enjoy summer BBQs and sit around the table having drinks and playing games.
This post contains affiliate links.
If you saw the sofas we built last week, you know they were inspired by a high end luxury set that was totally not in the budget. Naturally, I wanted the matching dining table too, so that’s what we built this week. Like last week, it all started with a large wood delivery from a local lumber yard. I am not going to do a full tutorial at this time, because well, I only have two weeks left and I need every minute! But don’t worry, I will do one when the ORC is done 😉 But for now, here is the Cliff’s note version.
First, there was a lot of measuring and cutting of wood for the the pedestals, the frame, and the table top.
For the frame of the table, we tried out the famous Kreg Jig for the first time. It’s a pretty handy tool once you have the hang of it and it makes really strong joints. And then my favorite part…….the dreaded sanding. Seriously, if I had a genie in a bottle, I would have wished for self sanding wood. Not eternal youth or massive wealth, but self sanding wood. That’s how much fun this was NOT. But now that I am done I would totally wish for eternal youth, haha! The good news is, I should be pretty much done with sanding for a while 🙂
Even though this part was absolutely AWFUL, I brought it on myself with my wish for these beveled edges. If you are trying to do the math in your head, let me help you out. There are 10 blocks with 12 edges to bevel for a grand total of 120 edges. And that is just for the dining table. I also did this on the two sofas we built which was another 192 edges. I know, I am crazy, but it looks SO much better with the beveled edges.
Then I stained all the pieces the same color as the sofas. I used a custom tint called Brown Chestnut in this outdoor deck stain to help preserve the wood. I have never used this before but I really liked it! It isn’t really smelly and it penetrates like an oil and cleans up like a water based paint with just soap and water. I used this version of my favorite brush to apply the stain. Once all the components where stained, we started to build the table. Because it weighs quite a bit and we made the mistake of building our first sofa in the garage and now cannot move it, true story, we built the table in place on the patio.
I had plans to make a bench for one side of the table too, but I think we are going to run out of time. So I used six of these chairs instead of four.
Now it just needs to stop snowing every three days so we can actually sit out here and have dinner 😉
Tune in next week to see us tackle some outdoor string lights! I am hoping to stretch them the whole width of the yard, but we will see how that goes. I am crossing my fingers!
Sign up here so you don’t miss any of our progress! Only one more week before the big reveal!
The full tutorial to build this table is now available! Check it out here.
Don’t forget to stop by the One Room Challenge to check out all the other participants. We are all feeling the pressure now, so we can use all the cheer leading we can get 😉